Friday Nights of Fall
The soft fleece caresses her skin,
As she walks through the crowded stadium.
Onlookers cheer on
The boys in blue,
The boys of fall.
As children run around the giant,
A gold figure,
The school flag flying high in his hands.
60 hikes the ball,
7 throws it through the cool night air,
34 powers through the line,
55 blocks for the touchdown,
2 comes in for the dog pile.
Last Friday,
Last home,
Last season,
Last year,
Final chance.
An eruption of sound,
The chants,
The excitement.
Go-Go
Fight-Fight
Win-win
Fight-Fight
Go-Fight
Win-Fight
GO-FIGHT-WIN
The girl stares out
At the players,
At the fading season.
Taking in the remaining moments.
Next season she’ll cheer for a new team
Next year will be different,
There won’t be Friday nights under the lights
For her next fall.
Sorority parties, nights on the town,
Homework flooding desks,
All await her,
Leave a dream of Saturday mornings to come.
I love this "poem" because I finally tapped into my writing groove and produced something I feel people can realte to. No drama, no goo, just a regular friday night under the lights put into words.
ReplyDelete